Friday, March 27, 2015

Dauntless by Dina Sleiman - Review

Back Cover Summary: Though once a baron's daughter, Lady Merry Ellison is willing to go to any lengths to protect the orphaned children of her former village. Dubbed "The Ghosts of Farthingale Forest," her band of followers soon become enemies of the throne when they hijack ill-gotten gold meant for the king. 

Timothy Grey, ninth child of the Baron of Greyham, longs to perform some feat so legendary that he will rise from obscurity and earn a title of his own. When the Ghosts of Farthingale Forest are spotted in Wyndeshire, where he serves as assistant to the local earl, he might have found his chance. But when he comes face-to-face with the leader of the thieves, will he choose fame or love?

My Take:

I'm a big fan of the time period and Robin Hood, so I was super excited to read this book even though I wasn't familiar with the author. 

The beginning grabbed and held my attention. I didn't want to put the book down. I loved the way she became the leader of the ghosts in order to protect and provide for the children. She was educating them academically and morally. She resented God because of what happened to her family -- though she didn't share those thoughts with the children and rob them of their faith. I really believed she could be a real person who made the decisions she did for the reasons the book provides.

Timothy is also very authentic. He tries to be smart - even strategic - about what to do and when. You can understand why as he struggles to stand apart in a large family. When faced with how his decisions can hurt others, he is willing to change and reevaluated his goals. 

There is an outstanding and interesting supporting cast of characters, especially little Wren and Allen.

The end was tense and took an unexpected twist.

If I had one tiny grumble, it would be that I would have loved a few more exciting raids peppered in the story. 

I got my copy from the publishers and although thankful, it did not alter or influence my review.

No comments: