Monday, October 24, 2011

Monday Musings - Fibromyalgia

Fibro Is Real!

When I switched blogs and renamed this one "Through the Fog" I didn't really explain it to anyone. Some of you have stuck by me for a long time and you know that I have fibromyalgia (fibro). Others may not even know what that is.

From the Fibromyalgia Network site "Fibromyalgia produces widespread pain, disturbed sleep, and exhaustion from head to toe. Although the muscles hurt everywhere, they are not the only cause of your discomfort. Instead, the diffuse, body-wide symptoms are greatly magnified by malfunctions in the way the nervous system processes pain." I have a graphic on the side of my blog with many of the symptoms. It's a really fun disorder. ;o)

One of the worst problems for a writer is that you get what is called fibro fog. Sometimes we can't recall things we've known for years (names, places, trivia for games). Sometimes it makes it hard to concentrate - almost like you've been drugged or drinking but you're totally sober. I hate losing my words. It's like my best friends are disappearing. It doesn't happen all the time -- and even some bad days are worse than others -- but that is the symptom that makes me feel the worst. My body has had problems before. Fibromyalgia wants to steal my mind.

So I named this blog Through the Fog because I plan to make it through. I plan to write through the fog, live through the fog, read through the fog ... I'm not going to let it steal my mind.

I have one manuscript almost finished. I started doing the research for another one and then I was goaded into looking into a book about fibromyalgia. I'm in the planning stages of that one now. The fibro may slow me down, and it certainly makes me feel horrible, but it won't stop me. If you know someone who has fibromyalgia or another autoimmune disorder or chronic disease, please give them your support and prayers. It's hard on them and their families.

5 comments:

Angie said...

(((hugs))) I've heard of fibro and knew about the pain part but didn't realize it also affects your mind. That would be tough. But your very inspiring :) and I really love the name of your blog now that I know what it means. Will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Margaret Metz said...

Angie - You're the best. You've always been supportive. I appreciate your prayers so much. {hugs}

Angie said...

((hugs)) and smiles :)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

I also hadn't heard of the fibro fog. thanks for enlightening us, and I wish you the best in dealing with this disorder. :)))

Margaret Metz said...

Thanks Carrie. Pain is the most known symptom of fibro, but I can deal with that so much easier. It's like that old saying though, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." That's what I'm hoping for anyway. lol