Friday, May 16, 2014

Water


Okay, so we all love and want the best for our pets. One of their requirements is clean and fresh water. I have read plenty of articles about how cats prefer moving water. Here are some links where you can read about it yourself:

Why Cats Prefer Moving Water

Does Your Cat Drink From the Water Faucet


If you don't want to leave your faucets dripping all day, a great option is to buy a cat fountain. They come in all different styles, sizes, prices, and materials. Many are plastic but they also come in stainless steel and ceramic. Some of them have extra containers that attach to them so the water doesn't run low for much longer. 

The pictures I am showing here all come from Amazon, but you can buy them almost anywhere you purchase pet supplies.


They have small pumps and filter assemblies that help keep the water cleaner for longer. Many of them say the filters last for up to 4 weeks, but it really depends on how many cats are using them and how many fountains you have. The more cats, the shorter the time they will be effective.

Make sure you check your fountain frequently for hair and debris. That can get into the pump and burn it out. The water level also has to remain high or your pump will quit working.



I recently discovered a great trick when cleaning my fountains. I got a spray bottle (they are cheap and come in lots of sizes, styles, and colors). I like to use a special color for each purpose so I don't mix up the one for my fountains with bleach cleaner or something toxic. I put in vinegar or a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide.

The vinegar or hydrogen peroxide mixture helps kill bacteria and the spray gets into the nooks and crannies you can't reach with your hands or even the tools sold to clean the fountains. If I'm using hydrogen peroxide, I usually use a mix of about half and half. Make sure to pray into all the holes of the pump as well because mold and bacteria can grow in the crevices and make your cats sick.

Just spray liberally and let it set on the surface for a minute. Then rinse the whole thing off and you're good to go. I have 9 cats and three fountains so I clean mine once a week. How about you? Any special tips or favorite fountains?



No comments: