Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Lordship of Christ

Summary: "Becoming a Christian means being sick of your sin, longing for forgiveness and rescue from present evil and future hell, and affirming your commitment to the Lordship of Christ to the point where you are willing to forsake everything. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it isn't just holding up your hand or walking down an aisle and saying, 'I love Jesus.'" ―John MacArthur

Best-selling author and pastor John MacArthur brings his deep knowledge of Scripture to this foundational subject. Step by step, he walks through the impact of God's sovereignty, our submission, the characteristics of holy living, and our assurance of salvation. MacArthur makes the case that the Christian life is full and rich―but not easy. It requires sacrifice, perseverance, and transformation in the ongoing process of becoming more like Christ. And it is absolutely worth the cost.



My Take: When you select a book from John MacArthur you can expect it to theologically sound. This book is certainly that. Usually his books are . . . a little more challenging than I found this one. Maybe that's because the subject matter is both difficult for many and important enough that he wanted to make it more easily understood by everyone.

I think the title can be misunderstood. People could read it and think it's going to be about Jesus. It's really about us and how we relate to Christ -- what our role as Christians and disciples is. That is important and often misunderstood in this era of me first, what feels good to me, what pleases me, what I like, what I think, and so on. We are so centered on ourselves that it can be incredibly difficult to give the reigns to someone else.

I don't agree with everything said by anyone but I think this is a book that should be in every church library to help believers understand what is meant by Jesus being the Lord of their lives.

I was given this book by Thomas Nelson as part of the Book Sneeze program but it in no way influenced my review.

No comments: