Friday, July 3, 2020

Happy Independence Day!





One of my sons and his children are coming to visit tomorrow. So, I wanted to take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy Independence Day.

When I was around 10, our family was overseas and went to a picnic on the base with fireworks afterwards. Everyone sat on blankets and it was crowded with friends and strangers. Next to us was a rowdy group in military clothing. They were nice - and more than a little drunk. One of them asked me, "Why are there fireworks?" I told him we were celebrating our independence. "Independence from what?" he asked. That's when I noticed he had a British accent. They got quite a kick out of how red faced I was. 

This has always been a time of family, friends, food, and fireworks. It's different this year, but I hope we all take a moment to reflect on what the holiday is really about and how important our freedom is. We have a unique history. None of our founders were perfect. but they accomplished an amazing feat and our nation has been instrumental in helping to spread freedom across the globe.

We have a lot to be thankful for. If you know a veteran. thank them for their service in maintaining that freedom. If you get to be with your family, make sure you tell them how much you love them.

Be safe and enjoy our hard fought freedoms.

No comments: