Friday, July 24, 2020

Through the Fog

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about the time people  stopped writing on stone tablets. Okay - slight exaggeration - but it was a very long time ago. It was a time when most people weren't entirely sure Fibromyalgia was real. Many doctors either outright denied it as a true medical diagnosis or didn't know anything about it.

It was hard to get a diagnosis - and even harder to find treatment and support. I struggled through and did a lot of research on my own. I figured out some things with a lot of trial and error. The only real books available were written by doctors and half the time you couldn't understand what they were saying. They also very often contradicted each other.

That's when I thought a book that talked to Fibromyalgia patients - from a normal person's point of view and gathering websites, articles, etc. might be helpful. I got a first draft done and then I got sick. Very sick. I had chronic lung infections for over 9 years. They still don't know why. I waffled between so sick I was nearly hospitalized to a bad cold. Of course - Fibromyalgia kicked into overdrive and I was nearly always in flare mode.

I didn't write, I rarely read. I just existed. I barely did the things I needed to do. The book was forgotten.

Now I hope those chronic infections are behind me - so I started digging out those old projects. The Fibromyalgia book seemed less necessary. There are lots of blogs and websites to give people support these days. I considered forgetting it altogether, but I was convinced there may be something in there that can still speak to someone going through Fibromyalgia and associated disorders. So, my plan is to post at least once a week from that material (with updated resources and links).

I hope someone finds it helpful. So look for something Fibromyalgia related on here at least every Friday.

No comments: